Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Week in Review

A little review of our week last week. You aren't going to see any school pictures because we took off the entire week. We really enjoyed the time of rest.

T(7yrs) enjoyed three days of camp away from home. Two days he spent at a local recreation place. They offer lots of fun energy filled activities like rock climbing, trampolines, foam pits, giant slides, games and crafts. He also spent one day at his karate school doing a camp with lots of karate instruction and other fun activities. I like to take advantage of these types of programs because I feel that my children need time without their parents. I want my children to be able to go out into the world and feel confident in themselves not always relying on Mom and Dad to do everything for them. He is learning skills of self reliance and also having a great time socializing with other children.

While T was off having fun, B and I spent some girl time together. I do not talk about this much but I have some guilt about not giving my second child the one on one attention that her brother got for 5 years. I have mentioned that I never planned to homeschool and when I was pregnant with B I always told myself that the best part about having kids 5 years apart was that the second child would get lots of one on one attention while the older child was at school. Then we started homeschooling and I feel like she gets left out more than she should. Anyway, it felt really nice to focus all of my attention on her for a few days and she loved it too. We went shopping and I painted he little toenails (she is now obsessed with "pretty toes"). BTW, love piggy paint nail polish. We played together and read lots of books.

Thanksgiving was wonderful but busy for me. This was my first year hosting Thanksgiving dinner and I was nervous about getting everything ready at the same time. Well, everything went well except that my turkey and ham didn't fit in the oven at the same time. So we waited on the ham and had turkey and all the trimmings at 3:30pm and then around 7pm we had ham and some of the earlier trimmings. Everything turned out great and luckily my in-laws are awesome and didn't care that the ham wasn't done on time. It was nice to spend time with family and the kids just adore their Grandparents and Aunt. The kids even enjoyed time with each other.


Saturday we spent the day at a local state park hiking and enjoying the beautiful weather. Later that evening we put up our Christmas tree. We moved last year and never got our tree up (moved right before the holiday) and we haven't found our tree skirt, oops! I just love unpacking ornaments and telling the kids all about each one as we hang them on the tree. I know we are a Montessori home, but we decided to avoid the smashed ornaments and we only decorated the tree above B's reach. She' isn't quite 2 yet and her favorite thing to do is grab things she shouldn't have and run off with them. Then when you confront her, she throws that item and runs. Not exactly what I was hoping for with the ornaments so we are just avoiding the problem. We do have some fabric, felted, plastic, unbreakable ornaments that I allowed her to hang on the lower branches. Its not exactly the best looking tree this way, but its still special to us.

And, I can not forget to mention, T was THRILLED that it snowed last week. LOL I laugh because I grew up in a very cold climate and we now live in a warm climate. When I think of snow, I think feet of snow, but here snow is counted in flakes. (it was all melted by the time he got home from camp that day)

I hope you and your family had a wonderful holiday week as well. We will be traveling for Christmas in December so there will only be a few weeks of school before we stop for the year. Right now I am working on a post on our Third Great Lesson, stick around you won't want to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment